Tuesday, January 01, 2008

what i've been thinking

I can't deny a certain charm
of blue sky against naked limbs
five black birds perched above
the moon arriving before dark.
Still, I am weary
pondering the endpoints of my life.

I went jogging today and it was warm enough, barely, to wear shorts. The poem above expresses pretty much what I saw and how I felt. I had been reading Benedict's letter Spe Salvi and I was struck by the idea that death is not some kind of punishment that God metes out, but as Augustine and others have stated, a kind of (partial) remedy. (The Navajo creation story makes a similar point where the twin brothers after slaying various monsters come across the old woman Sa' who represents mortality. They want to slay her too, but she talks them out of it. ) Anyhow, that what I've been thinking...